Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa

Living in Spain

The Spanish lifestyle is world famous, but there's more to it than just a sunny social life. HSBC ranks Spain as the second most pleasant lifestyle in the world, and the country attracts those who want and have the time to enjoy it. About half of expats living in Spain are retired, but due to the consequences of the pandemic and telecommuting, more and more foreign residents are remote workers. With its great climate, Spain keeps its word. Three-quarters of expats who have lived in the country for at least five years point to an exceptional quality of life as the main reason for their stay. The British make up the largest proportion of expats, but there is a growing presence among the French, Germans, Italians, Dutch, Canadians and Americans.

Non-Lucrative Visa

One thing common to all non-EU foreigners who choose to settle in Spain is the requirement to obtain a residence permit. For specific profiles, the Spain Non-profit Visa and Spanish residency is the perfect solution.

The non-lucrative visa is exactly what it sounds like: once obtained, it allows the holder (and family members, if any) to live in Spain without a job. The key here is that the employer cannot work for a Spanish company which is traditionally interpreted as a pensioner. However, with the aforementioned increase in telecommuting, many people are applying for non-lucrative visas while working online in another country.

Key conditions

Having enough funds in your bank account is the number one factor in processing your application for a non-lucrative residence permit. You have to prove to the Spanish government that you can support yourself without becoming a burden on the system. The official minimum required to obtain this residence permit is about 26,000 euros. However, the more you have, the better for a successful application. In addition, each family member must have at least 7,000 euros in their account.

Non-profit Spanish visa translation

Once all the documents have been prepared, the next step is to submit the application to the Spanish consulate or embassy in your country. To this end, all your documents must be translated from English or French to Spanish by a professional translation company. Idiomatic Canada has extensive experience translating non-lucrative Spanish visa documents and will be happy to help. Additionally, thanks to our network of offices all over the world, Idiomatic Canada can also offer official sworn translations for Spain accepted by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

For more information, contact Idiomatic Canada here.